Open Position: Research Associate/Senior Research Associate
Posted on January 2, 2017
Humane League Labs is seeking a creative, resourceful and self-motivated individual to plan, design, conduct, analyze and report on research experiments in farm animal advocacy.
Applicants will be considered for the position of Research Associate or Senior Research Associate depending on their qualifications and experience. Under certain circumstances, such as when an applicant possesses substantial experience and a long record of managing research projects, the position title and an expanded scope of responsibilities may be negotiable.
Humane League Labs is the research arm of The Humane League, a growing international non-profit dedicated to farm animal advocacy. Our mission is to inform advocacy strategies through actionable research on their effectiveness. Humane League Labs is committed to impactful quantitative research based on animal-centric metrics and a statistically sound approach to data gathering and analysis. We are also committed to a policy of unprecedented transparency through the entire life-cycle of our research projects.
The Research Associate/Senior Research Associate will work with and report to the Director of Humane League Labs. The individual will also work with the rest of The Humane League staff, a dynamic and diverse team of activists. Primary responsibilities and duties will include:
- Keep up-to-date with farm animal advocacy strategies used in the movement, help develop hypotheses on their relative effectiveness and generate ideas for testing them in a scientifically sound manner.
- Help develop designs for experiments, define metrics, evaluate controlled and uncontrolled biases, and assess external validity of studies.
- Work with the Director to communicate the methodology in proposals, pre-analysis reports or internal documents, as necessary, with clarity and precision.
- Manage the logistics of data collection in experiments, including overseeing all participants in the research. This involves communicating instructions on the research protocol to co-workers and volunteers with clarity and precision.
- Write code to perform statistical analysis of the data gathered in research, provide meaningful rationale behind the analysis methodology used, and develop logical inferences from the results.
- Work with the Director and other fellow participants in the experiment to prepare the final report documenting the methodologies, the data, the analysis and its conclusions.
- Assist in seeking feedback from the activist community on research priorities and plans, develop metrics such as those based on cost, feasibility and impact to assess value of competing research projects, and formulate or update action plans for research.
- Develop a co-operative working relationship with other researchers in the movement and participate in fostering free exchange of ideas in the community of researchers.
- Communicate regularly with the Director of Humane League Labs and assist as needed on research projects.
- Work with the rest of staff at The Humane League to become familiar with advocacy strategies, gain insight into variables of interest in research, and to develop, incorporate or update elements of measurement and data collection into our on-the-field advocacy.
- Represent Humane League Labs, as necessary, in presentations at research-oriented gatherings, or other venues.
The following is a list of desired (not all necessarily required) qualifications for the position. Academics with a record of authorship in quantitative research in social science, economics or a related discipline are especially encouraged to apply.
- An abiding commitment to the mission of The Humane League.
- A PhD (or a BS/MS with experience in research) in social sciences, mathematics, statistics, psychology, economics, computer science, public health or other related topics; coursework or experience in quantitative research, especially related to animal advocacy, is highly desirable.
- Strong background in descriptive as well as inferential statistics, and an aptitude for mathematical reasoning.
- Experience in the use of one or more statistical software packages for complex quantitative analysis.
- Comfortable in the use of a programming language typically used in data science (such as R or Python).
- Knowledge of research methods, principles, techniques and philosophies, including survey methodologies, the design of experiments and power calculations.
- Very strong analytical skills accompanied with steadfast curiosity and a willingness to wrestle with large and complex data sets.
- Past authorship of scientific reports or peer-reviewed articles.
- Willingness and ability to learn advanced statistical approaches and advanced programming techniques to accomplish data-centric tasks, as required.
- A disposition that favors evidence-based reasoning and critical thinking.
- Attention to detail and a commitment to maintaining high quality and accuracy in all research output.
- Very strong communication skills, with an ability to adapt appropriately to lay audiences and fellow researchers alike.
- A deep and enduring commitment to high standards of ethics in research including, but not limited to, matters of data use and storage, handling of privileged information, attribution of credit, conflicts of interest, protocol compliance, and correction of errors.
The annual salary for this position is negotiable and will depend on qualifications and experience. This is a full-time, at-will, exempt position. This is a remote position with the ability to work from home but will require occasional travel. Candidates must have employment authorization in the United States.
The Humane League is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status.
To apply, please send an email to Harish Sethu, Director, Humane League Labs, at email@example.com, including the following:
- A cover letter (as a pdf file) explaining your interest in the position.
- A curriculum vitae (as a pdf file).
- No more than two samples of papers, reports or articles authored by you (as pdf files or as links to online documents).